Friday, October 16, 2009

Freire and The Banking Concept of Education

My blog today is about Paulo Freire's short story in our IS 101 book.

Freire is essentially talking about two different learning techniques: the banking concept of education and the problem-posing method of education. What I get out of that is that the banking method is kind of like storing knowledge in our brains like we would money in a bank. We don't learn hands on, the information is fed to us by our professor/teacher. Freire even goes as far as to say that the banking education method is "oppressing". The problem-posing method "liberates" the student and teacher from learning but not understanding. Problem-posing education, through dialogue, creates students and teachers alike who both learn and teach each other. The student is always cognitive and uses that cognitivity as a reflection to learn off of. Through problem-posing study, students are brought back to reality and can perceive why they exist and see the world as a transformation, not just static.

It seems to me that problem-posing is the way to go. Our discussion in class today was very enlightening. I learned that many people in the class had a banking background in education, and yet there were still many that had the problem-posing education. I had a mix of both. My science and math classes were very banking taught, while my humanities and history classes were very problem-posing classes. I hear that is not always the case. I think that it really depends on the teacher and what style they use to transfer the knowledge unto the students. Here at Wartburg I think that right now, being in the intro classes and lower level classes, I see more of a banking system approach. I believe that will change over into the problem-posing education in the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment