Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Packers or Brett Favre?

My whole life I have grown up in a family who lives and bleeds green and yellow. For 17 years of my life I have worshiped the ground that Brett Favre walks on, the iconic quarterback figure of the Packer franchise. Now that Favre plays for the Minnesota Vikings, a team who I have hated my whole life, I am left watching games and cheering for Favre even though he doesn't play for the Packers anymore. Brett Favre brings the sort of passion to the game that just makes a person respect him, admire him. A couple of weeks ago when the Packers played the Vikings, a game which the Vikings eventually won, I ended up cheering for the Packers while secretly wishing that Favre would have a great game too. I talked to my cousin who is a die hard Packers fan about this and he couldn't believe that cheering for Favre was even an option! I guess that an allegiance is owed to a team and not a player. However, I am still hurt that the Packers got wouldn't let Favre come back and play, so my feelings are still mixed. I think that this is an issue that I will have to deal with come next weekend when the Vikings visit Green Bay. I believe that I must choose a side, even if I must secretly cheer for my favorite player in the National Football League. Externally, I will cheer for Green Bay; internally, I will cheer for Brett Favre.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! You're losing your voice in reference to expressing your secret delight over Favre. For some I think this is akin to blasphemy!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete