Sunday, October 11, 2009

Time at Home

Last weekend I got the chance to travel back to my hometown, Garner, for the first time in over a month. Due to cross country meets almost every Saturday, I haven't had the chance to visit my family on the weekends. It was exhilarating driving downtown and past the high school for the first time since becoming a Wartburg Knight. As I drove through Garner I felt really lonely all of a sudden. A wave of homesickness enveloped me and for the first time since leaving home I felt like I wanted to to nothing else but stay in Garner for the rest of my life. As I drove up my lane/driveway I felt very lucky and blessed to have grown up in a community such as Garner. I got out of my car and walked inside, my dog, a mix of a welsh corgi and a pug, greeted me at the door and immediately began sniffing me. Porgi is my dog's name and she looks nothing like a pug, she has a snout and a tail and is stocky. Nothing has changed much at my house, but it seemed like I had been gone forever and everything Had changed! My room was laid bare, my brother having turned it into his new "hangout" area. I had a lot of homework to do while home, but none of it got done as I spent all of my time playing with my dog and brother. Let's just say it was a very busy Sunday night when I got back to my dorm. Homecooking has never tasted soooo good; I never thought I would get sick of Mensa food, but Wartburg is just full of surprises it seems. I was sad to leave my home, but I know this is where I belong, In Waverly Iowa, at least for the time being :)

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Your room got repurposed already? Did you still have a bed to sleep on?

    My husband's parents moved out of state while he was in college and he never even really had a bedroom after that. I think they did give him a room in the basement but it was sparser than his dorm room and served the dual purpose of being their office.

    ReplyDelete