Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jurassic Park Day 3/ Start of Chaos Theory

During my senior year of high school my biology teacher and me would discuss whether dinosaurs could really be genetically cloned and brought back to life the "Michael Crichton" way. He argued that it could never happen that way, and I vehemently argued my case that they could. One of my friends who was in the class was a huge Michael Crichton fan and helped me out by printing off papers about dinosaur cloning, Chaos Theory, and scientific articles debating the topic. I called him up the other day and told him I was writing a 2-3 page paper on Chaos Theory, and boy did he sound jealous. An argument that we both joked around with in high school I now get to research and discuss with a college class!
Jurassic Park came to a close last Friday and its ending proved Chaos Theory to be true in that situation. The park was definitely a complex system and a perfect storm for everything to go wrong, and that left me wondering, how complex does a system have to be for Chaos Theory to be proven true? How can I relate the theory to my own life? A subject so jokingly and lightly discussed in my high school science class that I now have the chance to elaborate on excites me.

1 comment: