Monday, November 9, 2009

My Trumpet and Me

The Spanish call a trumpet "trompeta" literally meaning trumpet in English. I play my trompeta here at Wartburg in the Symphonic Band. We had our first real concert last weekend and my family came over to watch! My dad was my band director in high school and it was an emotional concert for me as I watched him silently cheer me on in the crowd. Having my dad as my band instructor in high school was an honor because he is the person that I most respect in my life. If I end up being half the man my dad is then I will be happy. Watching him in the background as I played made me feel old. I never thought that I would see the day that I would be in college and not have my dad to help me out through a band program. He didn't hold my hand or anything, I learned to play well on my own, but he was always there when I had questions and now I have to go to different people to become a more educated band student. I have grown as a musician in the past few months and with a different instructor my horizons have been broadened. People are right when they say that you learn a lot about yourself in college, and I learned that even without my parents help I can accomplish many things on my own. It's a different way of thinking when you decide what's best for you and not having someone else decide what's best for you. One piece of advice that my dad left with me was to read the newspaper every morning and stay informed with the current events of this planet.

1 comment:

  1. You know . . . you should send this to your dad. They always like to know these things!

    ReplyDelete